Old November 19th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default backup for vacuum pump/attitude indicator failure

I wouldn't bother with a backup vac system because its use is limited.
A backup pump won't cure a dead AI. I would buy the Sporty's backup AI.
For under $2K and next to no labor (just a couple power hookups ) you
get full, 100% AI redudency.

-Robert, CFII

Kelly wrote:
I would be interested in getting opinions about backup systems for a
vacuum pump failure and/or AI failure. I have a 172P with a single
vacuum pump system, standard instruments otherwise, and a Garmin 430.
I am most concerned about having a good backup if I lose a vacuum pump
or AI in IMC. I have been thinking about either a Garmin 396/496 or
the electric AI available from Sporty's. Looks like I could get a 396
or installed electric AI for about the same price ($2200 or so). While
I haven't seen the panel page/"6-pack" page on the 396 or 496, I have
read (in Aviation Consumer) that it's good enough to keep control of
the airplane in an emergency situation. Obviously, the 396/496 has a
number of other neat features such as inflight weather, terrain info,
etc. Any suggestions on which way to go with this.

BTW, I had also considered the Precise Flight backup vacuum system for
a while, and it certainly is cheaper (around $700 installed). However,
I was concerned by the fact that it would do nothing for you in the
event of failure of the AI vs. the primary vacuum pump.

Thanks.
Kelly