Old November 19th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default backup for vacuum pump/attitude indicator failure

Hint, unless a homebuilt, all parts must be approved parts.

My vote for safety and redundancy would be for the Sporty's
AI [not as a replacement for T&B] and the 496 GPS. The 496
is aviation, marine and highway, it is your XM radio too.

Unlike the emergency attitude indicators used in jets, the
Sporty's AI does not have a separate battery for power.
You can have your shop create a redundant power source with
a small battery that will be charged from the bus, but
isolated if the alternator fails.

"wise purchaser" wrote in message
ps.com...

| Why not install a 4 inch Venturi on the side or the belly
of the
| aircraft ( 50 bucks aircraft spruce) then route to a
selector valve
| then you could switch between engine pump or venturi.
This will drive
| BOTH AI and the DG.
|
| Or you could install the venturi to drive a back up CHEAP
( older type;
| black face) Gyro Horiz. I am sure an instrument shop will
sell you one
| at a good price as every one wants a color faced type.
|
| Now what about BACK UP electrical power thats CHEAP and
portable!

| I use one in my Airplane it provides 5 hours of FULL
Avionics power !
| It cost LESS than 30 bucks to make and all parts are from
WAL - MART!