Old April 22nd 05, 12:45 AM
Mark Morissette

See my post on ras. I don't get a good feeling about the Featherlites.
When I initially researched headsets on EBay months ago, I found alot of
"off-off-brand" headsets with the same mannequin modeling them. I'd worry

I saw the same thing...as with lots of stuff on eBay, you do have to
be carefull. Thankfully I've been using eBay since it's birth, and
have become pretty adept at being able to gather the honest sellers
from the scammers.

This person in question does seem to be quite legit and honest in his
business dealings.

about the sound quality, not to mention construction quality. If you're
coming off of David Clarks, these Featherlites might sound muddy. You're

Well, that's definately a concern...but I don't know - the feedback
from people who have purchased them, and presumably actually used them
inflight, seems good. The physical numbers on noise reduction is
right there for everyone to see, and they show better numbers then the
DC H10's.

actually at a disadvantage because you'd be comparing your new sets to
higher quality DCs and you may notice decreased intelligibility of ATC,

Very true..

which is not good. My suggestion: see if you can find one or two suppliers
who'd let you return headsets that don't sound good to you. That's not
happening with any EBay seller. DRE and Softcomm are well accepted. I
bought the DRE 1000s as my first set.

To his credit, this eBay seller does allow (And publicly states) a no
questions asked 30 day money back guarentee...presumably not including
shipping, but once again to his credit, his shipping costs are *very*
reasonable.

I don't now...I'm still awfully tempted.

The DRE1000's are not only more expensive, but IMHO here's what's
keeping me away from them:

They are only Mono. (Not an issue unless you listen to music
inflight, but a drawback none the less)

That, and I really dislike the "steel linkage" style of microphone
arm. I flew with one like that before, and never felt comfortable with
the limited microphone maneuverability versus a "flexible" microphone
arm that one can adjust inflight if needed without having to loosen
screws or adjust tensioners.

That, and they look more plasticy vs. the Featherlights.

I don't know....without using one, or both, it's hard to say, but I'm
hoping that someone here uses one or both and can offer direct
experience.
Mark Morissette
Courtice, Ontario, Canada
http://oshawapilot.blogspot.com (My student pilot blog)