Old April 22nd 05, 03:28 PM
Lenard Spencer

Mark Morissette wrote:
Currently I'm paying $5/Hr rental on David Clark's while flying out of
my FBO.

This was supposed to be a "temporary" charge for students there (like
myself) while the new headsets were paid for. Yes, they upgraded last
year from much lesser headsets, which were not really up to the
rigours of students and instructors alike using them for up to 18+
hours every day.

However, I'm pretty sure they were "paid for" some time ago, yet the
rental charges remain..much to the ire or alot of students, myself
included.

Anyhow, the David Clarke's are nice, but I'm not entirely sold on
them.

I'm also, at the same time, getting tired of paying rental charges
when there seem to be a great deal of entry level headsets that are
getting decent reviews.

I simply don't have $500 or $1000 in the budget right now to buy
something "high end" like I would prefer, but the lower cost entry
level sets would quickly pay for themselves when paying $5/hr for
rental sets is taken into consideration..

And they could become Pax sets afterwards...perhaps I'll rent them to
others for $4 an hour afterwards, and undercut my FBO. ;-)

I bought an Avcom AC-200 for under $100 about 5 years ago, and even
sprung the extra $20 for the gel earpads (David Clark pads fit just
fine). I got them mailorder at a place in south Georgia (the name
escapes me right now). But I just checked Aircraft Spruce and they have
them for $93 and the gel pads for another $21.