Old April 22nd 05, 03:40 PM
Trent Moorehead

"john smith" wrote in message
Mark, I wanted to offer my opinion on the "steel linkage" style mic booms.
I am of the opposite feeling. I have DC10-40's with the metal booms.
There are different styles and I prefer the DC style because they are
made with a higher quality stainless design than other cheaper models.
My dislike of the flexible boom is that loses its stiffness over time
and will fall away from from the position it is placed in.
In the 25 years I have had my DC10-40's, they have never failed to stay
where I put them.

Mark Morissette wrote:
That, and I really dislike the "steel linkage" style of microphone
arm. I flew with one like that before, and never felt comfortable with
the limited microphone maneuverability versus a "flexible" microphone
arm that one can adjust inflight if needed without having to loosen
screws or adjust tensioners.

I agree with you John. I bought a DC H10-30 set 14 years ago when I was
training. It's still my one and only headset. That boom stays right where
you put it and I've never adjusted it once. Not once in 14 years. I would
argue that you would have more trouble with the flexible boom staying set
once the headset gets some years on it. They also have a tendency to have
some "springback", that is, you kind of have to pull it to touch your lips
and when you let it go, it springs back away from your face a little bit
(just enough to annoy me). The steel boom just stays exactly where you
position it. And with the flex boom, you have no way of fixing it if it
becomes slack, besides just replacing the whole boom.

Hey, the flex booms are perfectly fine, don't get me wrong. But in my
experience, the steel booms are extremely robust. I also like the thought
that if I wanted to adjust tension, I could (though I've never needed to).

-Trent
PP-ASEL