Old August 16th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Becker vs Microair

"Neal Pfeiffer" wrote in message
news
When I asked about XCOM, it was not because of price. In fact in the US
the cost is on par with a Becker and definitely well above a Microair. I
simply wanted to know if others out there use them and found them to be
reliable.

As for ATR radios, the ATR720C in my Ka6E has worked well. The ATR57 in
my Ka6BR has not been reliable. Now the ATR57 in a friend's Elfe appears
to work well for him. My 57 was an early version and they may be more
problematic. Whenever I get the 57 back from the shop, I will need to
decide whether to keep it or trade it out. I do want to keep the small
package with a circular, panel mount.

..... Neal

I have one of the very early ATR 57s. It set around the shop for about four
years while I was restoring my HP-14. When it was finally installed, it had
problems. It was sent back to the factory (not a inexpensive process) and
was upgraded.

As Brian mentions, there are times I miss transmissions if my squelch is set
too high and there is background hiss if it isn't.

Counting the ART 57's original cost plus the repair cost, I could have had a
new Becker and a few extra dollars in my pocket.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder