Old February 8th 12, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On 2/7/2012 2:17 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
I choose safety. Continue flailing...I enjoy it.

As for your panic fire about filing, etc. I laugh at you. I am laughing hysterically at you both.

Safety. Its that simple.

My understanding is the rule was introduced because pilots were using
them for contest advantage rather than increased safety should they
inadvertently enter a cloud. The cloud flying would discourage pilots
from entering contests that were unwilling to take the risk or break the
rules, and would decrease safety as less able pilots attempted to risk
cloud flying.

So, I'd say the question might be: "Are we safer with a rule that might
- very rarely - mean someone is sucked into a cloud accidentally without
a blind-flying instrument; or a rule that encourages frequent
intentional flights into clouds?"

Of course, you can always carry one around when you aren't flying a contest.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz