Old March 6th 20, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Conventions. Return to every year?

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 5:03:39 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Seeing old friends, making new friends and putting faces to names in this age of sterile social media communication is a reason why the SSA Directors might consider a return to the annual SSA Conventions of the past. Just because you might be my "friend" on Facebook doesn't necessarily mean that we know each other. (No emoji required here.)
When is the last time we spoke with mentors like Paul Schweizer, Dick Johnson, or German pioneer Peter Riedel? Was it at the annual SSA Convention? It's not all about the preferences of the vendors, it's also about the PEOPLE!
With the aging out of our members, let's consider a return the annual SSA Conventions. Perhaps a mini-convention in the "off" years may be an option, like the fantastic "Soaring Symposium" series offered in the past by Ed Byars and Bill Holbrook. Many of you may not know these names but they were important people in the history of the SSA. Yes, I'd volunteer to help make it happen.

Bob Wander here. TOTALLY agree with Burt Compton, Tony Condon. Burt and I both vigorously opposed moving to biennial SSA Conventions. We were the Minority Report, unfortunately.

The SSA is a m-e-m-b-e-r-s-h-i-p organization. The best way to keep the Tribe - SSA m-e-m-b-e-r-s - connected as a community is to SEE them once in a while. Greet 'em, meet 'em, listen to 'em, learn from 'em.

Facebook, is nice, but it ain't the same thing.

SSA Conventions without Convention floor space complications, etc, for exhibitors and such would be relatively simple to arrange. A clean hotel, meeting rooms for presentations, catering for breakfasts and lunches for Society like the 1-26ers and Vintage Sailplaners and so on, and a Banquet room for the event-capping Annual Banquet. Local sponsors would have much less to worry about than they do with full-blown conventions - no need to supervise, protect, and police the exhibit hall, for example; no need for pre-convention and post-convention exhibitor set-up and takedown, etc.

My suggestion: Select a venue that has good transportation connections. People travel by air, road, and (like me) by rail, if possible. Direct flight arrivals from distant airports are good for the air travelers who come long distances. Equi-distant for our west coast and east coast tribe members would be nice. A quick look-see at a map of the lower 48 makes St Louis, Denver, Omaha, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Chicago, St. Paul/Minneapolis, Milwaukee all look like candidates for no-exhibit-hall conventions. And while, say, Omaha in February may not be my idea of heaven on earth, if that is where the Tribe will be gathering, then that is THE place that I wanna be.

Thanks for reading, and safe soaring to all of us. BW.