Old April 26th 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Tow Plane Upsets......

I was once air retrieving someone from an airport over 50 NM away from
Moriarty. We briefed thoroughly before takeoff that I would level off
and reduce power slowly at 10,000'. He later told me that, as I was
leveling off, he was looking inside the cockpit and missed it and lost
sight of me. He immediately released, which was great, but it was late
in the day and he did not have glide home. I told him to land and I
would give him another tow for free but he said he'd try for home. I
flew along with him looking for and guiding him to thermals. ...And he
beat me back to Moriarty. But he released immediately on losing sight
of me.

On 4/25/2017 7:40 PM, George Haeh wrote:
Yes, I know that's taught, but does anybody put the student high so that
release is required.

Just as with spins, there's a difference between being told what to do -
and
actually going into the situation.

--
Dan, 5J