Old January 22nd 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Affordable Oxygen

John Foster wrote on 1/22/2020 1:56 PM:

This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank? It would be much more affordable, and easier for me to get one of these style tanks, as I work in the medical field.

Way, way back 22 cf bottles had a rounded bottom that would fit into the cup.

So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, there is no physical reason not to use the yoke style regulator other than how it would fit. There are no significant strength differences or how it behaves at altitude that could be more dangerous with the yoke style regulator. Is that right?

I used one for years with no problems; after all, the bottle has to control
2000psi, so an ambient variation of 8 psi or so isn't going to affect it. I don't
think cold to 0 deg F is a problem, either, as I'm still here, but the
specifications should state the operating range. No, I don't know where to get them.