Old July 18th 04, 10:24 PM
Peter Duniho

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Why not? I'm right handed, but have flown yoke equipped airplanes
left-handed since I started flying.

I presume that the problem Bob foresees is how to write things down while
flying the airplane. With a yoke or stick centered at the pilot, it's easy
enough to switch hands. But with a side-stick/yoke (the Cirrus design, for
example, is actually more of a yoke than a stick in the way it works), you'd
have to cross your right hand over to handle the control while your left
hand writes.

Same issue in the right seat for right-handed pilots.

That said, I try to make it a habit to not do any writing unless the
airplane is configured for straight-and-level flight. With the trim
properly set, the plane ought to do fine long enough to write something
down, even hands-off. For minor roll control, the rudder pedals should
suffice to keep the wings level. It's not clear to me that a side-stick is
a disqualifying feature for a left-handed pilot in the left seat.

Pete