Old January 5th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default 1P = 1000W

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in message

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in message

| wrote in message
|| On Jan 4, 12:35 pm, " wrote:
|| ...where P is equal to Picture and W is equal to Word(s).
|| Building an engine -- or an airplane -- there are times when I fail
|| provide a lot of detail, partly because I ASSUME everyone KNOWS those
|| pesky little details. Which makes me something of a fool.
|| I've taught a college course on Aircraft Systems for Pilots for
|| maybe ten years now. I found early on that I had to back up a long way
|| into some basic stuff, since most young folks now have no frame of
|| reference regarding mechanical, electrical or hydraulic devices, or
|| even basic hand tools, let alone specialty tooling. I often resort to
|| using the water-in-a-garden-hose idea to illustrate electrical flow
|| (pressure, volume and resistance) and have received a few blank looks
|| from a few who appear never to have fooled with such a thing. City-
|| bound apartment dwellers, I guess.
|| So it's not unusual to get questions on really basic stuff. The
|| problem is to determine how much you really need to cover to get the
|| most students through without boring the bright ones or dumping vast
|| volumes of information on them or spoon-feeding the lazy ones.
|| Students, especially adults, should know enough that they have the
|| responsibility to go look things up when they don't have enough
|| background to understand the course.
|| Dan

It amazes me how uninformed (or just down right stupid) young people are
today. They grow up in a world today with absolutely no exposure to
anything
mechanical.

I walked in to an auto parts super store last summer and asked for 15"
inner
tubes. Not one person of the 6 or 7 on hand (including the manager), had
the
slightest clue what I was talking about. After describing an inner tube in
great detail to the manager and a couple of other totally shocked
by-standing salesmen, I was informed "I would have to look elsewhere, we
never put anything in our tires". They were in complete disbelief that any
such thing existed.

I can't imagine trying to hire a green mechanical engineer today. It must
really be a challenge.

While there does appear to be some merit to your basic complaint--that most
people under about thirty, and who have grown up in major cities, have no
experience in building or repairing anything--they were also right that you
were looking in the wrong place unless they also install tires on split rims
or on wire wheels.

Nearly anyone in a tire store would have known about inner tubes and their
basic sizes--which I believe are a little like the sizes of sweaters and
socks. They would be a slow selling item in most places, and would probably
need to be ordered in; but they will be in use as long as there are wire
wheels and split wheels.

Peter

P.S.: I was going to just let the earlier, and related, matter drop. But,
there are two common fomulations for wheel weights; and the clip-on variety
do have a hardener added which is usually atimony. Lin-O-Type alloy has
much more antimony, plus tin for better mold fill-out, and does not shrink
during while cooling; but does have other quirks.