Old December 16th 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Sunday, 16 December 2012 09:57:51 UTC-6, wrote:
Sean (HA)

I happened to be at the 2010 CC WGC. You're right, there were no ASW 20 flying. However, they were allowed. In the handicap list there was NO distinction between ASW 20 A,B or C. I have the list if you would like a copy.. ASW 20 (15m) was 1.08. ASW 20 WL (15m) was 1.09.

I have a copy of the 2008, 2010, and 2012 IGC CC handicap lists. I researched this back to the first CC WGC in 2001. The first time an ASW20 was raced was at the 2011 EGC, where one participated. Argentina will see the first ASW20's in a WGC. A slightly heavy pilot in an ASW20 with winglets can not fly in your IGC CC national contest. Why would you want to leave this large fleet out?

So you are proposing not following IGC rules? 3R

I think Guy Byars statement carries wisdom and direction. "The trick is to preserve the spirit and the simplicity of the FAI rules, but at the same time make them a bit more palatable to US pilots."

Doesn't sound like strict IGC rules adoption to me, which is what several of you have been demanding. 3R

You say only a few who have no intention of flying the CC are opposed.. I flew the 2008 Sports nats in a CC approved ASW24 and won. And yes, I am opposed to a strict adoption of the IGC CC rules. 3R

What version of the IGC CC Rules would you not be opposed to adopting?

What version are you suggesting? I have heard "adopt IGC rules", period! I am only aware of one version of IGC rules. Everyone knows my issues with the IGC rules since I have stated them several times on this forum: 1. Lead weight up to MTOW is ridiculous (several pilots will need 100 pounds of lead to get to MTOW, (Erik and Sarah to name two.) 2. Straight in landing finishes. 3. Allowed glider list is too small. Why limit participation? 3R

Sean Franke (HA)

I have really enjoyed reading this post. Just a quick note on the participation of ASW 20s. The first time I encountered on was a the WGC 2008 in Rieti when a 20 was entered by a South African pilot. If I recall correctly at that time we had to do some work to determine the reference weight and it flew with a handicap of 1.09.

Join the petition at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/262/8...out-exception/