Old February 27th 19, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Tow rope musings - informal survey

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:05:39 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
Have you seen Lithuanian cars and trailers?

No, but I've seen the top of a windbreak hedge a lot closer than I liked, and that was at the end of a 1000m long field. I don't believe 30 or 40 metres of tow rope length would make any appreciable difference, compared to the variability of wind, slope, and soft surface.

To be fair, the tow pilot held it in ground effect for a long time, so when he did eventually climb over the windbreak it was with speed in hand.