Old October 23rd 04, 07:10 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article O6ted.235899$wV.141418@attbi_s54,
As for bringing young people into flying, I wouldn't worry so much.
All we need to do is remove as many
obstacles as we can, and good things will follow.

I see this as a duty, not a choice.

If, through our business, or Civil Air Patrol, or AOPA, or Friends of Iowa
City Airport, or EAA's Young Eagles I can convince kids in my area that
aviation IS possible for the common person, I will have succeeded.

I think a lot of it has to do with just being able to see other young
poeple that are pilots. I got my PPL when I was 25 and a full time
graduate student (ie. student loans ^_^). But people were impressed not
only that I 'was a pilot' but that I could afford to fly. They just
assumed that it was 'only a hobby of the rich.'
It's sort of like Golf and Tiger Woods.

I actually think that most kids and still in love with aviation, but
it's not something that they think of every actually doing. And part of
that is because aviation is not really assessable for most people, unless
you have a family member or friend that flys, odds are you'll never get
the chance to go up in a GA plane. IMHO it's that early exposure and
seeing other people making it work that's really needed to help GA grow.
As an aside, CSI and all the Law & Order spin offs of caused all of the
forensic scientice programs in this nation to grow like mad. GA needs
something similar.