Old July 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

Default THE FUTURE OF VFR

In article ,
(Ron Lee) wrote:
If this requires lots of expensive equipment then it won't fly. I am
doing quite well without TCAS, SBAS, ADS-B, TIS, FIS and whatever
other acronym you want to make me pay for.

add to that CDTI, UAT, and GPS.

--
Bob Noel

I have GPS. But the other two sound like big bucks.

Ron Lee

GPS is big bucks if it goes in the panel.

I think that we're faced with the reality that the NAS increasingly
exists for the airlines and other commercial operators, and no longer
does it exist for the rest of us. However, I would be surprised if
there were any swift moves to eliminate or severely restrict VFR flight.
I would not be surprised if there were slow, measured moves to severely
restrict VFR flight, particularly flight which utilizes ATC services.

It sounds like the reality for most of us who fly both VFR and IFR is
that we'll be forced into ADS-B at some point in the future, though I
suspect it's the somewhat distant future at this point.

JKG