Old November 21st 11, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

Default spins, c of a, & regs

On 11/21/2011 01:58 AM, Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
On 11/20/2011 02:26 PM, vaughn wrote:
wrote in message

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous
in entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator
to maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

First of all, is your Cessna 150 legal for spins? (It depends on how
the rudder AD was complied with on your plane)

Vaughn

I guess it was, it was a school plane in the early 60's.

Unfortunately that rudder AD only came out a few years ago and affected
swept-tail C-150s and 152s even if they had previously been successfully
spun for years. Here is a news article on it:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-05-14_ad.asp

Interesting article, I haven't read anything about 150's for decades!

I'll side with Cessna on the issue though because an agressively sought
prespin stall begins near 90 degrees nose up and CAN lead to a short
tailslide which could bend a rudder. Just a hunch..

They had to fixed or placarded against spins. So if plane isn't placarded
against spins you can probably do it.

Here's a video of a C-152 being put into a 15 turn spin from 6000 to 3000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv7so42W-n0

I'll just presume that the back seat is full of other 'students' :-)