Old October 5th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:53:27 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
At least in most soaring sites in California, auto towing (as well as winch) will provide affordable sled rides at best. The lift is typically in the mountains 5-30 miles away. The only exceptions I can think of is Avenal and maybe Crazy Creek.

Affordable sled rides make for affordable training. And, the whole reason we tried (and ultimately failed) to get a winch operating at Crazy Creek is that lift is easily accessible from 2000 feet above the field on nearly all soarable days.