Old March 30th 18, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FAA written exam for gliders

You, Sir, have the right idea.Â* Good luck with your training!

On 3/29/2018 11:03 PM, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and studying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good that you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get the written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons. Once you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your instructor, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about in the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the right answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do. Don't put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam when the time comes.

Thank you. I have talked with two different flight instructors, one glider, one power, who both suggested that I just memorize the questions and get the test "out of the way so I could focus on flying". However, after reading through books and taking some practice questions, I find I have more questions than answers. To me flying is a serious business, especially with a glider without an engine to get you out of trouble (or into?). To me it is important to UNDERSTAND. I need to be able to apply rules to real life scenarios I may find myself in. And I find that a live person to explain something that I don't quite understand is invaluable. In much of my other training there has been a significant difference between book learning and real world experience. It is easy to forget what you read in a book, especially if it is done just to pass a test. I would much prefer to have read the book, have questions that come up, discuss this with my instructor, have real life practical experiences that I can hang the facts/regulations/theory on as an anchor that I will help me remember these important things for much longer in the future. I do see the importance of making sure I have my "written" exam out of the way before my check ride (I have to--it's required). But I think I will learn better if I can as questions and understand stuff as I am applying it, instead of passing a test and then learning to fly. Sorry if this was a long-winded response, but it struck a chord with me.

--
Dan, 5J