Old June 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Ian Scarle

While I tend to agree with you here Philip, the case
you state is very exceptional. I haven't sat and worked
through the figures, but you do need a really small
field, a very small task, and only one glider to fly
it. The rules on scoring contests have been iteratively
developed over a number years to meet the needs of
the sport. Just as in the same way that the scoring
rules for Formula One were changed recently to meet
the needs of the sport.

I do agree with Brian however, you really cannot compare
the sport of gliding with that of NASCAR or any other
sort of 'powered' race. That does show a lack of
understanding of soaring, especially in this forum.
Johns suggestion that you score no points if you land
out, is more likely to be far more controversial.
You really cannot compare the two sports or the scoring
system associated with either of them. Sure the current
rules do disadvantage the day winner under certain
circumstances, but I think it is all relative.

Ian
()
There's just no substitue for span!

At 21:06 04 June 2004, Philip Plane wrote:
I think the original point here was that if a pilot
flys the task
set for the day and is the first finisher, his points
should not rely
on the performances of other contestants.

Devaluing a day because the other contestants were
unable or unwilling
to fly the task doesn't make the flight of the pilot
who does
fly the task less worthy of points.

When the rules make it sensible to take a start and
land back so the
day is devalued, reducing the points difference you
risk in the contest,
rather than attempting the task, there's something
wrong.

The current rules make that behaviour advisable if
the class is
small, and the day marginal. A few start and land backs
will
devalue the day dramatically. The land back pilots
don't risk
a landout, and they don't risk their competitor getting
1000 points.

I've seen a task set and the entire field land back
except one pilot.
He flew the whole task, with updates coming over the
radio with his
ops normal calls like 'ops normal, 1500ft, scratchy',
'ops normal,
getting low'. This went on all afternoon. Then he lands
and gets the
reward for the day, 0 points. All the other pilots
landed back, so
not enough completed the minimum task scoring distance.

He flew the task set and deserved the full points.

--
Philip Plane _____

Glider pilots have no visible means of support