Old June 6th 20, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Struthers

Default Standalone artificial horizon

At 23:34 05 June 2020, wrote:
ought the US figure out a way to do cloud flyng without an

Instrument
rati=
ng and a power plane to keep it current?

Sure. Just ignore the regulations and go for it. If you get busted, you
mad=
e the call. Unless your aircraft is approved for night flight, or
instrumen=
t flight and you have the proper clearances, ratings and permission,

you
ar=
e taking your chances with the authorities. My glider is only approved

for
=
Day VFR. And that's fine with me. I've flown in clouds, both with and
witho=
ut AHRS, and I simply don't enjoy it. AHRS is nice to have, and I

might
opt=
for the LXNav upgrade sometime, but not right now.

So out of interest how do you manage to stick to VFR rules when
soaring? If you thermal to could base technically you break the rules, if

you are wave flying often you are closer to cloud than VFR rules
stipulate?