Old August 17th 15, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

Enthusiasm

I will offer two ideas:

First. Next week the UK Junior Nationals will be run at Aston Down. There
are over 50 entries and a load of two seaters being flown by pundits to
show those who are not yet ready for competition how it goes. This is down
to a few very enthusiastic pundits who are keen to grow the sport and pass
on their knowledge and enthusiasm to the next generation and to a few of
the juniors themselves who have thrown their efforts into enthusing other
youngsters.

There is a junior web site, great junior videos, 'how to' stuff etc. See
http://www.juniorgliding.co.uk Our BGA is also enthusiastic and supportive
with competition subsidies and training bursaries for the young.

I have never known the junior scene to be more active. Let the youngsters
loose and they will do it.

Second: Make cross country flying less intimidating for newbies and low
handicap gliders at club level. Handicap distance tasks allow all to fly
together at the same time, in the same air, in a collective spirit. We set
these every weekend at Booker and they get flown in gliders from 89 to 112
handicap. One member who flies a Pegase and hasn't flown more than 100k on
her own tasks for years flew nearly 300k the other week and landed with a
huge smile.

For newbies you can give them an extra 5 handicap points to allow them to
play on a more level ground.

Take a look at www.handicaptask.uk I have even made it US friendly! Sean,
please have a look if you are seeking ideas.

Jim