Old November 23rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercomwoes, XM "service"

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Yesterday we had our 496 "panel docked" with the installation of an
"AirGizmo". (See them he http://www.airgizmos.com/) [...] I
can't say enough good things about this unit, and -- best of all --
your shop can do the install with nothing more than a logbook entry.
[...]

Just curious, but sort of FAA-style authorization permits such a
modification to a certified airplane without at least a field
approval? As already spotted during an earlier thread here,
even the manufacturer says otherwise:

http://www.airgizmos.com/faq.asp

It is irrelavant what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer either
gets an STC or forfeits any ability to tell you how to install their
product. A casual reading of the regs shows that installing one of
these docks is a minor alteration.