Old April 3rd 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one andwhy?

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 14:17:04 -0700, George Haeh wrote:

There's been some attrition of the "a" model and a few pilots because of
failed elevator hookups.

I never minded the elevator hook-up because at least it was out in the
open and easy to see while you connected it. OTOH I really disliked
fumbling in the dark inside that tiny hatch with six connections to make.
At least mine had Weedekind sleeves fitted: doing the job without them
and trying to fit the safety clips one-handed doesn't bear thinking about.

BTW, some numbers for the OP: after soloing I flew the club's SZD Juniors
for a year before converting to a Pegasus 101 (at Williams) with 83
hours, mostly winch launches, so 223 flights). For the next three years I
flew the club's Peg 90 and Discuses, greatly preferring the Peg (better
all-round vis and comfort). Then I bought an early ASW-20 - at that time
I had 272 hours and 411 launches. I reckon it took me another 35 hours
before being fully comfortable with it, i.e. being in the right flap
setting at all times.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org