Old May 22nd 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

Well regarding the jumpers, when hanging under the canopy, I don't see how "busting through clouds"
or "busting FAA" regs would be an issue. They are not operating an aircraft as defined by the FAA
so why would FAA rules apply?

The jump planes and their pilots of course are a different matter...

Eric Law

"Ricky" wrote in message
I just got through watching several skydiving videos trying to
motivate myself to plunk down the money to continue my AFF jumps.

As a pilot/mechanic, I have continually been alarmed at the seeming
disregard for federal regulations in the sport, or are they?

Do jump planes operate under a waiver that permits such things as
aerobatic maneuvers, cloud clearance violations, altitude violations,
oxygen violations, and others?

How about jumpers? Do they get a waiver to bust through clouds and
otherwise bust FAA regs as they see fit?

Is skydiving just something where the regs are "swept under the rug"
and not really paid too much attention to and that's just an "accepted
part of the sport?"

I am a somewhat law-abiding and FAA reg-concious person (I'm an a/c
mechanic, too) so perhaps I am being overly-alarmed at the violations
I have witnessed. It's amazing the amount of busts that are freely
videoed, as well.

Any input ya'll may have on this would be appreciated.

Ricky