Old May 25th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

On May 21, 1:21*pm, Ricky wrote:
I just got through watching several skydiving videos trying to
motivate myself to plunk down the money to continue my AFF jumps.

As a pilot/mechanic, I have continually been alarmed at the seeming
disregard for federal regulations in the sport, or are they?

Do jump planes operate under a waiver that permits such things as
aerobatic maneuvers, cloud clearance violations, altitude violations,
oxygen violations, and others?

How about jumpers? Do they get a waiver to bust through clouds and
otherwise bust FAA regs as they see fit?

Is skydiving just something where the regs are "swept under the rug"
and not really paid too much attention to and that's just an "accepted
part of the sport?"

I am a somewhat law-abiding and FAA reg-concious person (I'm an a/c
mechanic, too) so perhaps I am being overly-alarmed at the violations
I have witnessed. It's amazing the amount of busts that are freely
videoed, as well.

Any input ya'll may have on this would be appreciated.

Ricky

Define please "aerobatic maneuvers, cloud clearance violations,
altitude violations,
oxygen violations"?

Regs state that oxygen shall be used above 15,500', no bail out bottle
req'd for 22K and below....there is no lower limit except for ground
impact. I've never seen an aerobatic maneuver either in or outside of
a jump aircraft so that's a new one (most jumpers would happily kill
the pilot afterwards though). Cloud clearance issues are usually
unintentional but I've seen that one stretched.

One fine May morning in SE texas we had a clear blue sky on exit but
at some point during the 60 second free fall went from clear to socked
in ground fog. That was a very hairy, scary canopy ride since we
could not see anything on the ground, had no idea where the DZ
was...and of course couldn't see the houses, trees or power lines.