Old May 29th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Physiology and accidents

This news story brought to mind something I have been thinking about for
years.

"For Sleep-deprived Memory Loss, Look To The Visual System"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0523113828.htm

Flying gliders, particularly landing gliders, is a visual task. The
information a pilot needs to perform this task enters the brain through the
visual system. A pilot can't feel or hear the runway approaching, it can
only be seen. If the pilot's visual system is compromized, an accident is
very possible. Landing accidents are the biggest category.

Sleep deprivation affects the visual system in essentialy the same way as
fatigue, dehydration, hypoxia and stress. All these factors are additive -
a little of each can add up to a big problem. Surveys tell us that sleep
deprivation is epidemic in modern societies. We all know the effects of
stress, fatigue, hypoxia and dehydration - now add sleep deprivation to the
list.

Be careful out there. Get a good night's sleep before flying.

Bill Daniels