Old April 23rd 05, 04:16 PM
Matt Barrow

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote
in :

Of course, the results of such surveys depend on the political

leanings
of the authors. Authors who favour a neoliberal policy will come to
results that portray the US as better, so to encourage Europeans to
mimick American policies. Economics isn't a science,

Paul Krugman thinks it is...at least Keynesian economics, that is.

And I think neither is.

Which "neither"?

(Who is Paul Krugman anyway?)

it's ideology to a
large extent.

Boy, when my company (on the micro scale) goes through cycles I hope that
some of our brain power comes through, rather than just our ideology.

Find the source of their data and report back.

Lemme just mention that there are economists who think that statistics
are difficult to compare, and that some of the American GNP figures are
a result of "creative bookkeeping".

Read the report and report back, especially how the authors define how they
dervied their numbers.

IME people who cite the Bergström Report come in two classes:
A) USAans (because it flatters their national pride, understandable)
B) Europeans who favour neoliberal policies (saw it in another NG just
today)

Both groups have in common that they like what it says.

Read the report and report back, then we can abstract in Hong Kong (pre-Red
China turnover), and the other up and coming economies with a contrast to
Eastern Europe and the rest of the third world. (The similarites and the
differences are striking...and seeing similarities is a very neat human
trait).