Old September 13th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

I suspect that the chance of loosing lift in a glider is significantly
higher than loosing an engine. I personally do not think it is a good idea
to fly at night in a single engine power plane unless you have a full moon
and are over very favorable terrain.

Mike Schumann

"Ian Cant" wrote in message
Is night cross-country in an adequately-equipped glider
inherently more dangerous than night cross-country
in a Cessna ? Each is one failure [loss of lift or
loss of engine] away from that dark field. It might
be more accurate to say that at night you need to give
yourself much wider safety margins than in daylight.

Ian

At 23:12 12 September 2006, Doug Haluza wrote:

Obviously, night cross country
in gliders is very dangerous, due to the possibility
of an outlanding
in a dark field, so I hope we don't have to wait until
someone dies to
address this.