Old September 27th 04, 03:16 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
BTW, I recently spoke to another pilot that used a hearing aid. I was
surprised to hear that he cannot pass a class two physical. Apparently,
while it is permissible to require corrected vision, corrected hearing is
not permissible.

Anyone know why? Is it the electronic/powered nature of the correction?
Something else?

I expect that's at least part of it; vision correction is passive, while
hearing "correction" is active. Another issue is probably that, while
vision can be corrected to a specific standard, AFAIK hearing cannot. All a
hearing aid can do is amplify the sound, but volume may not address the
entire scope of the hearing problem.

It's probably more like trying to get a medical when you have cataracts than
it is when you are nearsighted.

Pete