Old April 1st 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

Default Cirrus Owner Tell His Story

"I don't think there is any argument whatsoever here. Florida sees the
aircraft entering Florida as "use" of Florida (air) facilities, not a
"sales" tax on the transaction."

This is not at all correct. "Use tax" has a specific legal definition, which
doesn't refer to the "use" of a specific something.

In the context being discussed, the use tax is the amount of sales tax that
would have been collected on the transaction if it had occurred in Florida,
minus the amount of the sales tax (if any) collected by another state.

This same type of tax is frequently collected when one changes an automobile
registration from one state to another.

The purpose of these types of taxes is to prevent someone from purchasing a
big-ticket item in a low tax state, then registering/using it in a high tax
state.

Assume you live in State 'A', which has a sales tax rate of 10%. If you
bought an airplane for $100,000 in State 'A' and kept it there, you would
pay $10,000 in sales tax to State 'A'.

But if you went to State 'B', which has a sales tax rate of 5% to buy the
$100,000 airplane, you would pay $5,000 in sales tax to State 'B'.

However, if you bought the airplane in State 'B' and begin keeping/using it
in State 'A', State 'A' would then charge you a "use tax" of $5,000, or the
difference between the $5,000 sales tax you paid to State 'B' and the amount
the tax would have been had you purchased the airplane in State 'A'. Again,
this is to prevent residents of State 'A' from buying big-ticket items in
other states in order to avoid the (high) sales taxes in State 'A'.

This whole thing is nothing more than someone incorrectly interpreting some
very common tax regulations. From some of the posts I have read here and
elsewhere, this interpretation may be a deliberate attempt to create panic.

But Florida will no more try to impose a use tax if you fly your airplane
there for a two week vacation than they would if you drove your car there
for a two week vacation.

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:28:45 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

http://www.fata.aero/news.asp?news_id=88&display=yes

So basically he wasn't charged any sales or use tax. That is not what the
A.N.N. story claimed. The Cirrus owner simply assumed that the advice he
heard over the phone was valid and canceled his plans.

This Cirrus owner and the Cirrus owner in the OP are not necessarily the
same person/plane.

Here's FDOT's position paper on the matter.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/s...aft_owner.html

I don't think there is any argument whatsoever here. Florida sees the
aircraft entering Florida as "use" of Florida (air) facilities, not a
"sales" tax on the transaction. They clearly state they do ramp checks.

Does this mean Sun n Fun attendees are liable for use taxation? Sure
does. Does this mean that there is a likelihood they will be taxed? I
don't see the likelihood at all.