Old November 19th 03, 09:00 PM
Montblack

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
There are a lot of innovative aeronautical ideas of the past on this
web site: http://www.rexresearch.com/aero/1aero.htm

The first one fascinates me!!

George Cornelius: Wing - Popular Science (May 1931) "Free-Winged Plane Able
To Fly Itself"

There was a guy shown on The Discovery Channel (or TLC) maybe 8 years ago,
who recently built one of these - I think it was Down Under. The reporter
flew with him and said it really did smooth out the bumps.

The guy mounted what looked like a PCV tube to the top of the fuselage - it
was a 152 high wing type plane, IIRC. The wings attached to the "pole" and
were free to rotate up and down (forward and back?). I think they were even
independent of each other - port and starboard. Camera caught the wings
doing their thing in flight - they were constantly adjusting to the air -
while the plane flew straight and level.

The STOL characteristics and numbers, according to the "builder" were
unbelievable.

I've always thought this was an idea that made good sense.

Does anyone have any further info on a plane that has pivoting wings?

Thanks for posting the link Larry.

--
Montblack