Old April 3rd 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Crash Pads

On Apr 2, 4:39*pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he mentioned
professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. *And suddenly I'm
intrigued. *I'm considering taking a job at Google in New York City, but
my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I need is basic
accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work 12+ hours a day,
then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long weekend, and a room full of
bunk beds, half of them empty, for the nights in NYC sounds ideal. *So the
question is: can non-pros take advantage of these things, and how do I
find one?

PT, They probably would not want a Non crewmember at a traditional
crash pad because you would be there alot more often than anyone else.
It might work best if you got your own apartment and rented space to
commuters. Years ago there used to be a place called Kue Gardens in
New York, that was full of crewmembers. You might check there,
Otherwise, if you know any ALPA members there are always acomidations
listed on the web boards. If you know anyone who works at an airline
they can check the bulletin boards in the pilots or FA's crew lounge.
Good Luck,
Frank