Old January 17th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

Default Want to build a REAL engine?

On 17 Jan, 21:22, bod43 wrote:
On 17 Jan, 16:14, bildan wrote:

I've been kicking this idea around with some mechanical engineers for
a couple of years.

Motorcycle in-line fours are state of the art high performance engines
unencumbered by smog controls. *They get more than 100HP per liter
with some at 140 HP/liter. *Of course, they rev like a dentist's
drill.

More importantly, the cylinder/head assembly just bolts to the
crankcase. *Now, think of 7 or 9 of these in-line water cooled 4-cyl
blocks arranged radially around a common crankcase.

To make it work, you have to make the case, crank and new master/
articulating connecting rods. *You'd also need a gear case to drive
the cam chains. *Finally, you'd need some serious gear reduction
(~7:1) *planetary gear set in the nose case. *I'd also use an aircraft-
type fuel injection system instead of carbs.

If it worked, in the case of 9 cylinder blocks, you'd have a 36
cylinder, 500 pound, 30" diameter, 1000HP+ liquid cooled radial
reminiscent of a half scale Lycoming XR7755.

Now build a slick little carbon composite airplane around the monster
and take it to Reno. *I'll bet the sound alone would wow the crowds.

Here is a proper V8 made using 2 x suzuki hyabusa engine
blocks and heads. It is properly engineered and
gives twice the power of the original - say 350hp.
If memory serves me correctly the power is taken off of a gear at
the centre of the crank on the original and the V8 is likely the same.

Looks like the centre drive take off comment was rubbish - probably

Here is another one.
http://www.h1v8.com/albums/album_ima...06/1363744.htm
The web site is quite informative.