Old September 9th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Glider Cockpit Safety

I think anyone who has read the "too many deaths" thread has been sobered. When we take to the air, we are accepting a far greater degree of risk than the vast majority every will. We do it because of the personal satisfaction we receive, which makes our lives brighter as a whole.

But I also wonder whether, as a community, we should be applying pressure to manufacturers to focus more on safety, rather than finding that last .01% of performance, in their new glider designs. I've watched a lot of Formula 1 lately, where 200mph+ crashes are a regular occurrence. More often than not, the drivers walk away without a scratch.

What is to prevent glider cockpits from implementing similar safety designs?