Old July 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default Navy F-35C Gets A Big Wing

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, wrote:
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

This means the F-35C will have a bigger wing than the F-15.

Crap . . . Don't even want to think what this redesign will cost. I
think JSF is an airplane we need, but does anyone recall the last time
a "clean sheet" design came even close to the estimated cost. I
understand part of the problem rests with the vendors trying to
underbid each other . . . and another part of the problem is that it
would be nice for the customer to have a better developed idea of what
he wants. Problem with that idea development process . . . is that it
costs money too. Dang . . . almost Catch 22

Sorry for the rant . . . take care all

John

One of my oldest and best friends is part of the F-35C carrier suitability
group. There are a lot of issues with the aircraft, many of which stem from
the design team's unfamiliarity with carrier operations and the design
requirements imposed: approach speed, attitude on touchdown, wingfold to
reduce deck multiple, maintenance implications ... the engine size makes R&R
difficult ... etc.

While the aircraft should introduce many capabilities that strike aviation
would love to have, I wonder if we'll be able to afford it in its final
configuration or live with the several OBTW's that will undoubtedly
accompany its introduction.

R / John