Old July 9th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Navy F-35C Gets A Big Wing

On Jul 9, 12:00 pm, Herbert Viola wrote:

Last time I checked the wing loading on the F-35A was around 90lbs/inch2, very
similar to the F-16 and MiG-29. I don't think wing loading will hinder the F-35
as a fighter. Also, don't low flying aircraft, such as CAS platforms, need to
avoid low wing loading for flight stability?

I think the F-35 was meant to drop JDAM's from on high, not get
down in the weeds like the A-10 does.

Also, according to:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f35/

The F-35C's large wing was also to be used in a proposed
F-35D model (which was cancelled) which would also have
featured an internal gun (right now, only the F-35A gets
an internal gun, the B and C models have provisions for
a gun pod though).