Old September 7th 19, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default another crash

I actually do want to have a headrest, I’m not in any way saying a headrest is not a good thing, just the opposite.
I have a rare form of muscular dystropy that is much aided by correct neck support provided by a decent headrest.
The only glider I have been able to fly for long periods was and LS4 with its large well shaped headrest.
It’s literally the difference between my only being able to fly for a couple of hours maximum and 5 hours maximum.

The nature of my FSH muscular dystrophy that I still have strength in my forearms, so flying isn’t a phisical strength limit, the
limit is the pain I get later after overexertion. It’s very difficult, as my disability is none visible, and despite being told, there is zero help or understanding for my condition amongst my local
administrators, though I have found much more receptive and tolerant people interstate.

I’m sure people at times think I’m lazy, which for someone who has been a doer their entire life, is very frustrating, so I tend to do and regret later,
not to mention the effect pain levels have on my mood.

I can’t stand by and watch someone struggle without helping. Currently I’m suffering an injury from overexertion during a course from helping move a wing, that has me at 8 out of 10 on the pain scale.
It will take several weeks for me to recover and fly again.

I have to carefully manage myself phisically and mentally for flying, and I take it very seriously. I only fly when I’m fit enough, which is rather limiting,
hoping for a good day and one where I do not need to take strong pain relief.