Old September 7th 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default another crash

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 20:32:19 -0600, BobW wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder how's come the stories of gliders being able to
"sneak up" on soaring birds in flight! There might BE something to this
situational awareness theory!

I put that down to birds that regularly soar in flocks (gulls, kites,
vultures) having good, and quite obvious, traffic awareness while
solitary raptors don't. When I've had gulls join my thermal they've
always turned the same way as me but three times now I've had a smallish
hawk (kestrel or similar) come round the thermal the wrong way, suddenly
spot my glider about the same time I saw them, close wings and plummet.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org