Old October 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default US pilots concerned with collision avoidance, read the FLARM threads

Interesting thought, Fred, but I don't think so for at least 2 reasons:

(1) Let's say I go to Australia, where they use FLARM. According to the
paragraph in the manual that Marian Aldenhövel quoted above (it also
appears in the Australian FLARM manual), FLARM may not be used if I'm
riding in a FLARM equiped aircraft (I'm a US citizen). How can that be
a frequency issue?

(2) the Australians use a different frequency than the European FLARM
units, but it is still a licensed FLARM useage. Canada could do the
same thing if it was just a frequency issue, but the manual expressly
forbids FLARM in Canada.

-John

Fred wrote:
My information was that the frequency range used is not available from
the FCC. If it were solely a liability issue, I do not understand the
inclusion of Canada. I tend to put more weight on the frequency issue.
Fred