Old June 25th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default For the real engineers here

wrote in news:b6c58e3d-f0ee-4d52-842a-
:

On Jun 25, 2:10 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in news:f21210b7-96ff-44c6-9b4b-120e489e7682@
59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I'm thinking of a clean glider, one that might weigh 1500 pounds

and
has a glide angle of say 1 in 25. At 50 miles an hour, that would

mean
in an hour's time it might descend two miles (of course scale it
reasonable numbers, I chose those for ease of calculation). That

means
it's losing about 1500 * 5280 * 2, or about 16 million foot pounds

of
energy an hour.

Now if I add an engine swinging an 8 foot diameter prop, maybe as a
pusher, the question is, how big an engine for cruise only? A
horsepower is 550 foot lbs a second, or about 2 million foot

pounds
an hour. If all of that is correct, it suggests with a 50%

efficient
prop a little 16 horsepower engine could pretty much keep this

thing
at constant altitude.

It passes the reasonableness test as far as I can see. Any serious
disagreements?

For those of you who do things in metric units? I went to school a
long long time ago, and here in the US I can buy a little Briggs

and
Stanton (spelling?) engine with a horsepower rating, not a kilowatt
one.

Here ya go...

http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/rec.../msg06267.html

Yeah, that gives some comfort that the decimal point at least is in
the right place. Thanks

BTW, your glider will need to be a good bit lighter to have anythign
more than marginal perfoemance. With that much HP you should be grossing
about 700 lbs max.

Bertie