Old April 28th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Fuel Flow and Peak EGT

Kobra wrote:

Flyers,

While flying to FL from NJ last week I did what I always do and fly ROP by
75 to 100 degrees. This is how I was trained and my CFII is also my A&P /
IA.

Ouch, ouch and double ouch. About the worst place to operate an engine.

I know enough about LOP to know I will not operate LOP without an engine
analyzer and probably GAMI injectors which I do not yet possess.

Neither is necessary. I have neither in my Bo, just a regular single
point EGT. Mine runs great LOP. Yours may not without the GAMI's.
Remember anything at 65% and less power it doesn't matter where you put
the mixture, you cannot harm the engine.

During the trip I was looking at my fuel computer and seeing an average FF
of 10.5 to 11.5 GPH at 6 to 7 thousand feet at about 22 to 23 inches MP and
2400 RPM at 75 degrees ROP.

I pulled my POH out and looked up the cruise performance numbers for those
parameters and those altitudes and I saw the recommended FF's. If I leaned
to the recommended FF's I was usually at peak EGT.

So my question is: Does Cessna advocate running at peak EGT in cruise? Or
if "advocate" is a strong word, are they at least saying "you can if you
want to" run at peak EGT in cruise? I've always heard that running at peak
EGT is bad for the top end of the engine.

Do a Google search for Red Box.