Old April 21st 04, 01:44 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:11:26 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

Sport Aviation (EAA Magazine), April issue, pages 110-112.

It is also true that if you pound a lot on that hex nut at the top (if that is
what it is) there is no chance in hell that you will ever be able to separate
the nut from the rod without a torch. I mean, I think it is a great idea, and
I'd like nothing more than to get rid of those stupid corkscrews I've been using
for thirty years, but I'd like some of your comments on how we might make it
better.

Thoughts?

Jim I use something similar but mine uses an eighth aluminium plate of
about 6" diameter instead of the chain. I made and welded an eye in
8mm rod for the centre. has a nut welded on the back to hold it into
the plate.
3 holes about 120 degrees apart at about 4 1/2" PCD to hammer the pegs
through..

the ends of the stakes take a fair hammering and you really should
think of welding them on. good fat solid welding. waste a rod or three
making the set. mine have a blunt tapered point turned on them.

the three stakes if splayed out have incredible holding power. mine
are about a cubit long.
they can be driven into soils ranging from loams, through limestone
gravel, to solid summer baked clay with the cheapest of claw hammers.

my pegs have a loop welded to the side of the head so that I can put a
spare peg through it and screw the peg loose in the ground.
in some soils they can really take hold enough to become permanent if
you let them. I have had to use all my might on a peg as a handle
through the side loop to get them free on a few occasions.

make it better? no, the idea is sound as presented. any more effort
making them and you'll really regret losing one.

for the tiedown rope I used one with the breaking strength equal to
the aircraft empty weight. run between tiedown and aircraft attachment
a few times and it'll never break.

must admit that the simplicity of the way he approached it impressed
me.
Stealth Pilot