View Single Post
Old April 27th 19, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo
external usenet poster

Default Taurus glider for sale

I saw it after it was picked up, then after it was flying. The only significant anything was the canopy sagging a bit and some debris damage to a portion of the elevator. But before the fire happened, I believe (may be incorrect here), that the BRS chute and the wing pins were not with the aircraft.. It was listed on an insurance company's salvage auction, and the winning bidder was the manufacturer (but unsure if it was via a US representative), who then failed to come up with the money by the deadline, so it went to the next bidder, who bid significantly less. It was AFTER this that they began a campaign to claim it unairworthy, while meanwhile things like the wing pins were offered for sale to the buyer, by the original owner who made the insurance claim. Seems weird to me...would have thought things like wing pins would go with an aircraft. I do know that the repair and canopy replacement was completed by an A&P/IA.

Regardless, I'm only a spectator to this one. I do agree with other posts however...carbon fiber is incredibly resilient. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The only point I make is that based on what I know and conversations with a few people directly involved, I think it's a lot more complicated/interesting than some have suggested. It also doesn't take much to total an airplane, depending on who has the adjuster's ear.