Old May 3rd 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Taurus glider for sale

"Sure. Ok. The manufacturer tried to buy it from the insurance company, but failed to come up with the money. Therefore, it went to the next bidder."

I'm not sure where all of this misinformation comes from. I was involved with the insurance company in the assessment of this aircraft for return to service. The manufacturer declared it a total write off and condemned the aircraft. The insurance company were advised of this in writing.

The statement above is fantasy, the manufacturer was not interested in purchasing the airframe because we considered it condemned. It was our expectation that the airframe would be destroyed, whatever usable parts salvaged and that was it, end of story.

The manufacturer came aware that the aircraft was still around when a person wanted to purchase a new canopy but would not identify the aircraft serial number which is a requirement for our certification records being an LSA aircraft. This raised more questions than it answered and after investigation we concluded that this airframe was in the process of being rebirthed. This was reported to the FAA at the time because it is our responsibility as a manufacturer of certified aircraft and in particular one which we have previously deemed condemned.

To our surprise the said aircraft popped up on a classified site along with a change in registration category which cannot happen when it is an LSA certified aircraft without the manufacturers express approval and it also turned up with a new serial number. In fact a serial number that is identical to an aircraft currently registered and as you know you cannot have two aircraft flying on the same serial number.

The matter is now under FAA investigation and because legal action is most likely to be taken I would ask you guys to settle down and just let this investigation take its course.

I repeat again that we declared this aircraft condemned, the aircraft was agreed to be destroyed by the insurance company. We did not bid on the aircraft because why would we bid on something that was being destroyed ? The liability remains with why did the insurance company allow this aircraft to be sold or purchased by a new owner and why did this new owner fraudulently return this aircraft into service in a new registration category with a new serial number and with no records indicating this aircraft had been condemned due to a hanger fire. End