Old February 14th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n[_2_]

Default Wing De-Icing Question

On Feb 13, 3:36*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Feb 13, 1:44*pm, "Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: *On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces, other
than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Thanks,
Bob

Jets don't typically have boots. Most use hot air stollen from the
engines to heat the leading edges. Some use a "leak" system to drip
anti-freeze like solution on the tail surfaces to avoid having to
plumb the hot air to the rear, although this is less common. I'm not
sure that I woudl call the type of plane that crashed less modern than
a 767 considering by-pass jet engines (the type in a 767) have been
around longer than turbo prop engines that were involed in this recent
crash.

-Robert

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like tailplane icing.
Take a look at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23060735779946
for a NASA produced video on the subject.

Note that this flight started its plunge right at or after the outer
marker. The outer marker is where you normally lower gear and flaps.
Lowering flaps is the thing that causes the tailplane stall if the
tailplane is iced up.

K l e i n