Old November 18th 05, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Slant R?

"Newps" wrote in message
Marco Leon wrote:
Yes, I know but I wasn't sure if I was not getting assigned GPS

approaches
[without requesting them] by filing /G. Do you recall if the FAA
disseminated *why* they dropped the "approach" distinction?

First off you make it sound as if you will get a GPS approach forced on
you with no recourse. If the controller offers a GPS approach and you
are unable then say so. The FAA dropped the approach distinction
because there are probably as many airplanes that can legally go GPS
direct without approach capability as there are with approach
capability. It was simply an oversight on their part.

I actually would prefer [pure] GPS approaches to other non-precision
approaches. Thanks by the way--you answered my question in the piloting
group

Marco Leon