Old July 2nd 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Flying car one step closer to reality (yeah, sure)

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

---------sorry about the complete snip, my reader isn't handling some quotes
correctly again--------

Dudley, I completely agree that it won't be usefull.

However, although you are absolutely right, my reasoning is a little
different. Molt Taylor's Aerocar, was marginally usefull at a time when
most people were familiar enough with machinery to mostly avoid inadvertant
damage and relatively few people even locked their doors--and the Aerocar
allowed most of the "airplane" portion to be left at the nearest airport.
Even then, the main reason the idea made sense was that so many local public
use airports were a simple grass field with little services and no rental
cars.

So, today, even if all of the security and licensing issues were resolved,
the market would still be limited to a percieved need to land at one airport
and depart from another.

In my view, general use credit cards and the easy availability of rental
cars killed the Aerocar and the potential market is even more limited today.

Peter