Old August 7th 03, 05:57 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:28:18 -0400, Paul Dowgewicz
wrote:

Here's the Security Abuse Item of the Day

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...-janitor_x.htm

A janitor had his clearance revoked because he declared bankruptcy 19
years ago.

I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories along this one. One guy got turned
down, and raised a fuss. Turned out he'd had the nickname "Klepto" in
grade school. For stealing apples from a tree on the way home...the name
was short for "Apple Kleptomaniac"

My favorite story is about a guy who was filling out his applications, and
came across the question: "Have you or any member of your family ever taken
any action to subvert or overthrow the government of the United States?"

He thought for a moment, then answered, "yes."

Incredibly, the security investigators missed it. The last bureaucratic
who had to sign off on the papers noticed it, and raised a huge stink. The
applicant was brought into the office, and they demanded to know why he
answered "yes" to that question.

"Because my great-grandpappy fought for the South in the War Between the
States."

The story goes that they subsequently inserted the word, "immediate" before
"family."

I got interviewed for a friend's clearance a couple of months back. They
asked me if I knew whether he had contacts in the news media.

"Yes," I said, "me!"

Ron wanttaja