Old August 21st 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:00:11 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:

What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?

Jason,

this is unfortunately not as easy. The cables we supply in Europe only work with our european WiFi solution that wirelessly interfaces third party NMEA-equipment to iOS devices. In the US the module is not allowed due to regulatory reasons.

We are working on a worldwide bluetooth solution which is planned to be sold by early 2013.

Best wishes

Marc

There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?